13 May, 2007

A Noble and Terrifying Task


I've finally had the chance to sit back and reflect on our wedding and the wedding mass and although I went through the whole process of selecting the readings and all of the music I didn't have time during the mass to really reflect on my selections. The other day I decided to compile a playlist of the music from the wedding so that we could remember it 20 years from now and I found the music to the following song. As I reflected on the lyrics once again, I am amazed at just how appropriate the song was. Isn't this what marriage is all about?

The Servant Song
Words and Tune: Richard Gillard, 1997

1. Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

2. We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are travellers on the road.
We are here to help each other,
Walk the mile and bear the load.

3. I will hold the Christ-light for you,
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.

4. I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow,
Till we've seen this journey through.

5. When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

6. Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I might have the grace,
To let you be my servant, too.

What a noble and terrifying gift of one's life. Truly the meaning of vocation.

It moves me to tears thinking about the fact that I committed myself to this two weeks ago. I only hope I am up to the task.

No comments: