01 August, 2014

Buttercream Frosting (and Other Recipes)

Okay, I promised this post to some lovely ladies in my Foundational Catechetical Certification class and I'm SO behind the ball.

French Buttercream Frosting - I remember this silky, sweet, wonderful frosting from my childhood and I finally had it. I love this recipe, but I find that this guy's instructions are so clear and easy that I suggest you get them directly from the source. Buttercream is no longer intimidating to me. For my fresh wildberry version I just substituted tart cherry juice for the water in the syrup and then added blended (and slightly drained on a paper towel) fresh berries once the frosting was complete.

Also, here is the promised soda bread recipes from another good friend and instructor, Julianne.

Makes one loaf
In place of King Arthur’s flour use Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour. You can use any whole wheat flour, but the coarser the better for this. For those of you in the Fox Valley, The Bulk Foods Shoppe in Greenville carries a course whole wheat flour that is amazing!

1 cup flour
2 cups coarse whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes {plus more for pan} ( Use Kerrygold, I get it from Woodmans)
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats {plus more for top of bread}
1 1/4 cup well shaken buttermilk
1 egg white, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cast iron skillet, or baking sheet with butter.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Mix together with a whisk. Sprinkle the cubed butter over the mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the oats and stir to combine. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until a dough begins to come together. Using your hands, knead the dough into a ball. Transfer the loaf to the baking sheet, cut a large "X" into the top. Brush the top with the beaten egg white and sprinkle a few pinches of rolled oats over the top.
Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. You will know when it's done, if you take it out, tap on the bottom of the loaf and it sounds hollow. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and serve with a generous helping of Irish butter.

 

No comments: