27 September, 2006

Homesick


My sweetie has a fortune taped to this picture in a frame at his house that reads, "You crave your lover when the two of you are apart."

Well, he leaves for Las Vegas this morning. It will be the longest time we have been apart since July. I have a long slate of projects to work on to pass the time as well as some outstanding social engagements with friends.

It is strange how drastically your life changes when God brings a life companion into your path. Now, I don't believe in forsaking all other persons and priorities for them, but there is certainly a heightened level of commitment that removes you from your previous dedication to friends and family. There are still errands to run, dinners to attend, and work functions to tolerate. That said, it is key for my sweetheart and I to carve out small niches of time to spend with one another.

The other night we found ourselves in the living room with our feet propped up, just talking. He looked at me and said, "Wow, I miss this." I nodded in agreement. You don't realize how blessed those simple, ordinary, everyday moments and tasks are, until they are overcome. Last night it was packing. We enjoyed the first hour of his preparations, but then it became a task. A necessary task, but still a task at the expense of quality time spent together.

In hindsight, I should have worked harder to bless the task and make it holy. I could have pushed my energy just that much further instead of allowing the tyranny of the work day and the kitty recovery (our babies just had their "no more babies" surgery) to determine how I treated my fiance. Instead of making it a fun love-filled evening, it became a task-filled evening to launch the trip.

It is worth the reflection.

So, I am homesick. Not for my home or house or because I am physically away, but because I am distanced from the routine and love that has come to characterize my daily life.

Hopefully the sweet surprise I left in his suitcase will make up for the dull night and give him a reason to come home quick!!

No comments: